The Alpine Gardens shown hirer behind the railings were presented to the town by Alderman T.P. Wood about 1909 to open up a view to the church from High Street. The Gardens were purchased by the Corporation in 1927 and removed in 1932 to make way for a new road, Church Way, linking Burlington Street with St. Mary’s Gate. Photograph by F.Frith and Co.
Thanks to Alan Taylor
Thanks to Historic England