Rose Hill


Rose Hill House - Graham March

His only daughter and her husband Fredrick Butcher moved in after his death. Fredrick died Tuesday 26th May 1891. Mrs Butcher carried on living there and remarried to Lieut-Colonel Turner on the 16th Aug 1898. She remained there till her death on Sat 14th June 1930.Demolition of the building began in June 1935 The photo’ shows Rose Hill House and its grounds in the background in early 1920’s. The allotments to the right were known as Spring Gardens, also part of the estate.

Thanks to Graham March

Rose Hill 1937 - Alan Taylor


Thanks to Alan Taylor

Rose Hill - looking East from the Town Hall in the 1940's - Paul Greenroad

Rose Hill - looking East from the Town Hall in the 1940's

Rose Hill corner from Knifesmithgate in 1991 - Paul Greenroad

Rose Hill corner from Knifesmithgate - 1991

Thanks to Paul Greenroad

United Reformed Church / Congregational Church - 2003

"1822, Independent Chapel" on round stone plaque above door. Coursed sandstone.
Band and parapet raised up in centre with piers, panels and capping. 2 storeys.
3 windows. Central stone doorcase with Tuscan columns and entablature. 8 panelled door with archivolt and impost bands. Plain semi-circular fanlight. Casement windows with mullions and engraved lintels. Side facade to Soresby Street has 6 windows, the 3rd and 6th round arched under gables and with keystones. 6th bay slightly advanced, door on ground floor with moulded architrave with floral medallions and cornice.

Thanks to Historic England