West Bars

  . 

 

Old police station and fire station on New Beetwell Street. Demolished to make way for the new library. - Rob Marriott

Celebration on West Bars for Alderman T P Wood, Mayor of Chesterfield 1885-86,, - 1885.

Thanks to Rob Marriott

Jon Sambrook 2

?

Thanks to Jon Sambrook

In the tour guides of the late 19th and early 20th century, the Portland Hotel was 'well spoken of', with rooms from 3s 6d and lunch for 2s 6d.The Portland was considered to be equal to, if not better than, the Station Hotel; a rare accolade indeed when Britain's railway operated hotels were amongst the best in the country. - Francis Firth.

 

West Bars - 2-police-wagon-with-offender outside Dents -1905 - Chesterfield Museum

 2-police-wagon-with-offender outside Dents -1905

Thanks to Chesterfield Museum

West Bars

?

Thanks to Jacqui Wilkinson

West Bars circa 1910 - Rob Marriott

West Bars about 1910 (Sorce Unknown)

Thanks to Rob Marriott

West Bars. Chesterfield, and you can see Goodwins Close Shop, right at the end on your left. - Alan Taylor

 Goodwins Close Shop, right at the end on your left. - 1920.

Thanks to Alan Taylor

West Bars - 1950's Alan Taylor

The west end of West Row in the 1950s. These solid-looking terraced houses dating, probably, from the early 1800s ran from the middle of West Bars to Boythorpe Road. They were demolished in the 1960s and a multi-storey car-Park now stand on the site. But that car-park as been demolished now.

Thanks to Alan Taylor

Dents - Alan Taylor

John Dent began trading in New Square as a dispensing chemist in the early part of the century and also practised as an optician, herbalist and veterinarian. He purchased the Star and Garter in 1926 and died three years later. The business prospered and expanded to include a branch in Newbold. When redevelopment became necessary temporary accommodation was set up alongside it, until the new building was complete in 1962.

Thanks to Alan Taylor

This picture is at the back of West Row, the brick-built rear of the Row, leading to the curve of Boythorpe Road.  - Alan Taylor

This picture is at the back of West Row, the brick-built rear of the Row, leading to the curve of Boythorpe Road. This photograph shows the outside toilets and coal storage between the houses and gardens.

Thanks to Alan Taylor

West Row, West Bars, c. 1950 - Alan Taylor

West Row, West Bars, - 1950, an externally attractive terrace of stone-faced dwellings on the south side of West Bars. Build in the 1800’s near Maynard Meadow, also known as Maynard’s Row, these twenty-four dwellings were removed in the 1960’s for the construction of a multi-storey car park which has now been taken down. 

Thanks to Alan Taylor

West Bars , Dents 1950 - Alan Taylor

West Bars in the 1950s, clearly taken from stop top of the market hall tower, showing several features which are now absent. Dents old shop, once occupied by Proctor’s florist, opposite, and the shops beyond, also the LDEC station and its goods yard, currently the site of the Postal Finance Department can all be seen. Lower right is the well known ‘spectacle’ window of A.V. ‘Sandy’ Smart, who ran Dent’s optician’s department.

Thanks to Alan Taylor

Ready for the opening of Dent’s temporary shop in 1960 - Alan Taylor

Ready for the opening of Dent’s temporary shop in 1960 are, left to right : Michael Langley (now a director), Barbara Swain, Wilf Marsden, Cecil White, Anne Still and Mark Evans, manager and director.

Thanks to Alan Taylor

West Bars, 1961 - Chesterfield Museum.

West Bars - 1961.

Thanks to Chesterfield Museum.

West Bars

West Bars

Construction work on the West Bars roundabout in 1963, at the point where Boythorpe Road, Chatsworth Road and the newly constructed Markham Road met. Industrial sites can be seen, with the Brampton Brewery buildings on the right. A brewery was first established here in 1839. Past of the Wheatbridge Pottery can be seen in this picture, and Wheatbridge Mills behind. West Bars is believed to have derived its name from a gate which once stood across the road, preventing cattle from staying into the town.

Thanks to Alan Taylor

Market Place Station, West Bars, 1972 - Alan Taylor

Market Place Station, West Bars - 1972

Thanks to Alan Taylor

Central Co-op West bars. - Neil Botham

Central Co-op West Bars.

Thanks to Neil Botham

West Bars - 1974 - Alan Taylor

Sun Inn, Frank Hill, Madin Organ Centre, Dents Chemist, Post Office, Westminster Bank, The Old Indoor Market, Portland Hotel, and Market Station, and that shop as been demolished (Goodwins) it finished to be a privet car park. - 1974.

Thanks to  Alan Taylor

West Bars 1976 - Brian Davis & Chesterfield Photographic Soc

West Bars 1976

Thanks to Brian Davis & Chesterfield Photographic Society

West Bars -  Chesterfield Museum

Thanks to Chesterfield Museum

West Bars - 1985 - Alan Taylor

West Bars - 1985.

Thanks to Alan Taylor

Sun Inn on West Bars - Alan-Heardman 1997

Sun Inn on West Bars - 1997

View from the roof of the AGD - Alan-Heardman 1997

View from the roof of the AGD - 1997

19 and 21 West Bars - 2004
Late C18/early C19. Rendered facade. Coped parapet with moulded cornice, Modern pantiles to roof with coped gable ends. Off centre and end chimneys. 3 storeys, 3 windows, sashes with glazing bars, boxed frames and keystones. Altered C19 and modern shop fronts ground floor.

23, West Bars - 2004
Circa 1830. Red brick facade with plain stone band, moulded stone eaves and hipped slate roof. 2 storeys, 3 windows, sashes with glazing bars and engraved lintels.
Centre moulded wood doorcase set back in moulded atone architrave with inset half-round fluted wood pilasters. Door of 6 fielded panels and segmental fanlight.

Thanks to Historic England

Multi-story car park, West Bars - Derbyshire Times

Multi-story car park, West Bars -

Thanks to Derbyshire Times