PUBS IN CLAY CROSS
A number of the photos below have been taken from Facebook. if you beleive that any images are yours please contact us.
Angel Inn, High Street. Scarsdale / Brampton / Warwick’s / Barnsley (John Smiths) Brewery (Full licence) Leased to Scarsdale Brewery in 1868. Bought by Osbourne & Chater of Brampton Brewery on 22/07/1876. Ownership transferred to John Smiths Brewery (after take-overs) in a Conveyance dated 26th March 1970. Demolished for erection of Council bungalows, built 1971 / 2.
Black Horse, Eyre Street. Brampton Brewery (Beerhouse licence) Landlord Mr Britton, leaving after sale on September 26th , house contents to be sold. (Derbyshire Courier, 20/09/1873), Ordered to close under Licensing Compensation Act of 1904. Pub closed 30/11/1907. Fixtures & fittings sold on 24/12/1907. Re-opened as a Working Mens Club. Sold by Brampton Brewery in 03/05/1921. Now a carpet shop.
Buck Hotel, High Street. Brampton Brewery (Full licence) New pub opened in 1876. Licensee George Wright (12/10/1949) Closed 03/01/1956, licence to new Buck Inn at Holmgate. Demolished around 1963.
Buck Inn (May 1962.
‘New’ Buck Inn, Holmgate Road. Opened 04/01/1956. Changed name to Cromwell Arms and back again to original in Nov 2003. Closed March 2006, derelict February 2007. Demolished 2015 and new houses built on site.
Crown Inn, High Street. Brampton Brewery (Full licence) Originally known as Rose & Crown Bought by Brampton Brewery on 01/11/1902, from Emma Elizabeth Simpson Licensee 7/10/1953, Charles Wilkinson. Ownership transferred to John Smiths Brewery (after take-overs) in a Conveyance dated 26th March 1970. Closed and demolished soon after.
Dusty Miller, Thanet Street. Chesterfield Brewery (Beerhouse licence) In 1907 the pub was referred for closure under the Licensing Compensation Act of 1904, however, the licence was renewed at the Licensing meeting in June, where it stated that the owner was George Elliott, and was leased to the Chesterfield Brewery. The pub was referred again in June 1910, where it stated the pub was leased to the Chesterfield Brewery for 21 years from 23/03/1895 at a rent of £55 per annum. The pub closed in December 1910. The pub was almost opposite the Kings Head, to the left of Annie (nee Tarrier) and Harry Hall’s shop. After closure the pub became a shop. The row of buildings were demolished in 1970 for building of Council bungalows (along with the Angel pub).
Old Pub (left of photo), latterly a shop, late 1960's
Elm Tree Inn, High Street. Hollis / Chesterfield / Mansfield Brewery (Beerhouse licence) Full Licence granted 02/02/1949 Licensee 18/03/1964 to 16/06/1981, Madge Eyre Closed and boarded up 2013.
Furnace Inn, Market Street. Hollis / Chesterfield / Mansfield Brewery (Beerhouse licence) Full Licence granted 14/02/1951. Licensee 10/09/1969 to 15/07/1987, Ray Whittaker. Name changed to Olde English in November 1987.
Gardeners Arms, Market Street. Kimberley Brewery (Beerhouse licence) Boarded up 2017, later re-opened.
George & Dragon, High Street. Scarsdale / Whitbread Brewery (Full licence) Sold at Auction, on 01/09/1869 (Mrs Farnsworth), with stables, butchers shop etc (Derbyshire Times) Scarsdale taken over by Whitbread’s in March 1958.
Kings Head, Thanet Street. Scarsdale / Whitbread Brewery (Beerhouse licence) Scarsdale taken over by Whitbread’s in March 1958, traded for a time as Scarcliffe Trading Co before being badged as Whitbread’s. Full Licence granted 05/03/1958 Sold by the brewery in June 1982 (CAMRA), later closed Opened October 1988 as the Canon, closed 2009. Re-opened October 2010 as Charlies Bar The history of Clay Cross by FE Dwelly states the remains of the town cross lay on this site until the pub was built, then moved to the rear of the Dusty Miller.
Nags Head, Market Street. Hollis / Chesterfield / Mansfield Brewery (Beerhouse licence) Originally called Miners Arms. Sold by auction on 16/02/1880. In occupation of Ann Slater (Derbyshire Courier) Bought by Reuben Hollis of Willow Tree Brewery, Pilsley for £1850, with adjoining cottages. (Derbyshire Courier, 21/02/1880) Full Licence granted 14/02/1951.
New Inn, Market Street. Gilmour’s / Tetley’s Brewery (Full licence) Name changed to Last Orders, approx. April 2004
Prince of Wales, Thanet Street. Wm Stones Brewery (Beerhouse licence) Full Licence granted 01/02/1950. Stones, under Bass ownership, sold to Gibbs Mew. Mew. Pub closed and became Princes Restaurant.
Prince of Wales (dated around 1970)
Queens Head, Thanet Street. Gilmour’s / Tetley’s Brewery (Full licence) Was called the George & Dragon until 1872/73 (Alfreton Licence ledger) Closed in June 2003 and became a Cantonese restaurant.
Red Lion, High Street. Brampton / Warwick’s / Barnsley (John Smiths) / Wards Brewery (Beerhouse licence) Full Licence. granted 11/02/1953. Closed 2016, now flats.
Royal Oak, Clay Lane. Gilmour’s / Tetley’s Brewery (Full licence) 12/3/69 Licence transferred to Charles Kirman. Sold in March 1986 Closed Sept 2006, re-opened Feb 2007. Closed again around 2008, now a house.
Royal Volunteer, Market Street. Whitmarsh-Watson / Gilmour’s / Tetley’s Brewery (Beerhouse licence) Sold by Auction on 25th May 1880, beerhouse occupied by Thomas Holland (Derbyshire Courier 08/05/1880) Bought by John Watson, brewer of Sheffield for £1450. (Derbyshire Courier 29/05/1880). In 1898 the brewery merged with William Watsons Shefield brewery to become Whitmarsh-Watson. They were taken over by Gilmour’s of Sheffield in 1906. Now owned by Pubmaster, closed 2011, re-opened 2018, closed again 2020.
Shakespeare, Shakespeare Yard, Broadleys. Brampton Brewery (Beerhouse licence) Bought by Brampton Brewery 30/12/1897. Bagatelle licence granted in 1894. Ordered to close under the Licensing Compensation Act of 1904, trade was said to be 10 barrels per week (i.e. 2880 pints). Pub closed 30/11/1907. Opened as a lodging house in 1908. Sold by Brampton Brewery in 1933.
Shoulder of Mutton, High Street. Gilmour’s / Tetley’s Brewery (Beerhouse licence) Full licence granted 01/03/1950 Closed approx. 1998/9, (Last transfer of licensee 19/7/95, last licence renewal 1998). Re-opened as a Tandori Oven restaurant. Reverted back to a pub around 2007, but closed soon after. Re-opened as a Gurkha restaurant.
Star Hotel, High Street. Ind Coope Brewery (Full licence) Closed mid 1960’s, demolished in 1970 to widen junction at top of Holmgate Road Was on opposite corner to Post Office.